A new campus for Alma Mater inside the historic city fabric.

 

Campus 1089 Staveco

location: Bologna 
client: Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna
with: Dipartimento di Architettura Università di Bologna - coordinator Matteo Agnoletto
collaborators: Alessandro Molesini, Piera Bellanca, Benedetta Braglia
status: 2015 - on hold
program: reconversion of a former military area into a new campus for the University of Bologna  

 

CAMPUS 1088

"A Masterplan which - jointly developed by the University building technicians and by fellow architects and engineers - does not have the nature of the implementation plan, but defines the strategies for the direction and the guidelines for subsequent specific projects, from a threefold point of sight: architectural, social, academic. Architectural, because the historical factories are recovered as an example of the enhancement of industrial archeology and the area is configured as a perfect and miraculous hinge between the hill and the historical center. Social, because an interaction is created between the immense green area of the hill and the numerous and varied plexuses, and dialogue between cities and universities is also possible thanks to specific meeting spaces. Academic, because the Campus is characterized by a triple scientific and educational pole. The actual implementation of the Campus 1088 would represent a challenge and a match of relevance not only local but national and international.”

Ivano Dionigi, Magnificent Rector of the Alma Mater Studiorum - University of Bologna

The former Staveco area is a group of properties located in Viale Enrico Panzacchi, covering an area of 93,288 square meters. The area is located in a highly spectacular landscape context, exactly where the hills converge in the flat area occupied by historical city center, close to the layout of the medieval walls nowadays replaced by the circular avenues. It is therefore a decisive place for a potential integration between city and hill. The former Staveco area has been declared of historical and artistic interest, therefore subjected to listed protections . The planivolumetric structure of the area will therefore have to deal with the provisions concerning the conservation and recovery of existing buildings considered worthy of protection. The transformation involves the creation of an appropriate functional mix focused on services for university training and integrated activities, in addition to the implementation of some territorial equipment (green area and parking) usable by the entire city. The project also envisages an adequate mix of public functions or public interest, especially on the ground floor of the building located on Viale Panzacchi and in the buildings located around the chimney, as an ideal area for a public square. The identification of the internal pedestrian paths is integrated with the structure of the former Staveco fabric, highlighting its "comb" structure, ensuring and encouraging the public nature of the routes. The landscape project is confronted with the presence of the Aposa water stream, foreseeing its possible reopening; on downstream side of the latter, the construction of a parking lot with access next to the "green corridor" on Viale Panzacchi is planned.