Essential in its shape, this exhibition displays archive materials combining storytelling with physical choreography.
Carlo Lucci Architect
Exhibition and publication curated and edited
by Andrea Zamboni and Laura Gasparini
with Franco Lucci
location: Biblioteca Panizzi, Reggio Emilia
client: Comune di Reggio Emilia
status: project and realization, 2012
with: Alessandro Molesini, Mimosa Calchi
program: exhibition design
The exhibition follows the free loan delivery to the Panizzi Library of the archive of Italian architect Carlo Lucci (born in Florence on February 15, 1911) on the occasion of the centenary of his birth.
It represents an important step for the valorization of what Lucci, both as a man and as an architect, has produced during his long activity started in 1936, resumed in Reggio Emilia in 1945 after the interruption of war and lasting until the year 2000. This activity does not stops at the design of public or private buildings but extends to urban planning, building regulations, design, numerous national and international competitions, the various essays and publications that bear his signature. In addition to architecture and teaching, many others were his interests, such as music (Lucci loved to play violin and piano ranging from Bach to Schönberg), astronomy and painting at an early age, but above all to bibliophilia. Its well-known library is meticulously classified according to the Dewey system, and includes rare codes, incunabula, aldine, bodoniane, particular bindings, rare editions, etc.
It should be remembered his generous and disinterested commitment during the tragic days of the earthquake that afflicted Friuli region, in particular Moggio Udinese, the country of his wife and where the children were born. At that time Lucci abandoned all his main activities to move to that country and planned, participating personally in the realization, a small but comfortable temporary wooden house, reproduced in numerous elements, which allowed users to face the discomforts of the first years before the reconstruction. University teaching, already begun in pre-war Rome and resumed in 1954 at the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Florence, after a period of teaching at the Institute for Surveyors "A. Secchi "from Reggio Emilia, represents an important section of Lucci's life. He was able to maintain a strong coherence throughout this activity, also documented by numerous writings that testify to his intellectual honesty while understanding the dramatic moments of that era.